Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Beth's House Post 2
Isn't that fabulous!!?! This one is all thanks to Beth's inspiration. The cloth is about a fat quarter size. I had used it as a clean up rag before and it was dyed lightly and unevenly kinda lavender (see the light top part). I added lines of black dye paste squirted out of a catsup bottle. I let the lines sit a bit and then smeared them using a credit card and a silicon basting brush. On the top I stamped letters using the same dye paste. It sat about an hour before I did anything else to it. Without washing it out, I decided it was a bit dull so I started adding drops of straight dye concentrate onto the fabric and let them bleed into each other. After it sat for an hour, I rinsed it out and washed it. Love it!
This is a 36 x 45 piece of cotton. Previously I had monoprinted it with fushia and some blue (not sure which). Clearly I had spread the dye paste using a credit card for part of it also. It was way too bright for me so I decided to try Ann Johnston's rope resist technique. I wrapped it on the rope, scrunched it up, and soaked it in lemon yellow. I thought the lemon yellow would blend well with the blue and would desaturate the bright fushia. I did not get as much texture as I had hoped but I do like the results. The piece is clearly a two-sided piece because here is the reverse side.
I think this cloth is a perfect candidate for Kathy Loomis tiny little lines technique!