Friday, November 30, 2012
These are not all my Sandy Blocks but are a sampling. I volunteered to make 20. I think I ended up with 23. We are told not to send more than the number we volunteered but I have put together enough scrap quilts to know that a couple of extra blocks can let you have some choices in the arrangement of the blocks. I will send all 23 and the volunteer putting them together can use them, donate them, or throw them away.
"And Then We Set It On Fire" and several for assorted grandchildren for Christmas presents. The most exciting part of the sock animal saga was when I taught my 8 year-old granddaughter, Abby, to make them. During my two day visit she made 4 of them. Her stitches were close to mine. She is quite the artist. Since every year their family makes things to donate in the name of one of their grandparents as a Christmas Present, Abby is donating them as a gift to her other grandmother. Isn't my daughter doing a wonderful job of starting the children early to serve others!
Okay, I admit it. I get PVA and PVC mixed up all the time. One is a white glue and the other is plastic pipe. When Working to Live-Living to Work talked about a new resist method using PVA glue, I thought she meant PVC glue. Oops! My bad. I have tried this resist technique using the gel type glue and it washes out very readily. I like what she has done in her experiment! While at her blog, I also checked out her paper-stencil technique with the silk screen. I have tried just random paper strips but not a cut intentional pattern like she did. I will have to give it a try soon.
It is not that Jane LaFazio needs me to hype her classes but I do like the tiny tutorial she wrote on sketch and watercolor. She makes it look so easy! And while there, I checked out other tutorials she has on her blog and found this one on making a studio box. While a lot of work, I think I might make a few to put the granchildren's sock animals in for Christmas.
So little time and so much to do! I am back to the sewing machine.