Portfolio of older work

Friday, August 19, 2016

100 Dresses

Have you heard of Crystal Cawley's 100 dress project?  I am participating in it although as usual I have put it off till the last minute.  Here is a picture of the dress I am submitting. It is about 10 inches tall and is glued to the paper provided by Crystal.


I made the dress by layering polyester organza and Lutradur. I would layer one organza piece over one lutradur sheet  and do some decorative stitching.  Then I did it again.  Then I stacked the two stitched layers, added an organza over them and stitched all 5 layers together.  Then, and here is the fun part, I melted it all with my heat gun.  The butterflies are from the second layer and were stitched as decoration into the organza; they did not melt.  I wanted to add a few more butterflies so they few already in the dress did not look so alone.  I burned the butterflies out of another piece of the organza and glued the butterflies to the front of the dress.  You can not see them well but I finished the dress with a few grommets to the bottom of the dress just to give it a bit more decoration, one more texture, and something that was shiny.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I wish I had seen it in person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and please share your thoughts on my work or a link to see your great stuff!